The 2021 Patient Safety & Quality Awards were given to the following individuals and teams:
Individuals Award Winners
- Judy Zdobysz, MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, in recognition of her going well beyond her job responsibilities to support hospital staff during the height of the pandemic. She coordinated food deliveries, supported staff education, and created staff wellness rooms. She solicited handmade mask donations from all over the country and put together hundreds of patient discharge gift bags that included a mask, hand sanitizer, hand soap and COVID-19 patient education.
- Tracy Meyer, Psychiatric Institute of Washington, as a champion and advocate for fearlessly leading her hospital through the COVID-19 pandemic ensuring the safety and health of patients, employees and the community. She personally led the search to ensure all employees had sufficient PPE by contacting colleagues, friends, and businesses to gather donations. Her ability to make quick decisions such as implementing an extensive screening process for both employees and patients allowed PIW to manage the spread of COVID.
Team Winners-Poster Competition
- Gold: Children’s National Hospital, Improving Pain Reassessments and Documentation in the NICU
- Silver: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Implementation of a Multi-Disciplinary Post-Operative Pain Management Protocol in Kidney/Kidney Pancreas Transplant Recipients
- Silver: MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, The Value of a Multidisciplinary Approach to Indwelling Catheters – AKA Why The Foley (WTF)?
- Bronze: Children’s National Hospital, Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Screening in the Neonatal Intensive
- Care Unit and the Pediatric Emergency Department
- Bronze: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Empowering Perianesthesia Nurses Through Education to Re-deploy to the ICU During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Bronze: The George Washington University Hospital, Maximizing COVID-19 Intubation Safety – A Multimodal, Multidisciplinary Approach