This session includes a discussion of the benefits and risks related to the exchange of patient information through a Health Information Exchange. This review includes an analysis of the applicable federal privacy law requirements, including HIPAA and Part 2 regulations. Learn about best practices to capture the proper patient authorizations and to implement safeguards to comply with applicable laws.
This session is recommended for Health Information Management Leaders, Compliance Officers, Privacy Officers, Chief Operating Officers and Executive Team Members responsible for the use and disclosure of patient protected health information.
- Understand the benefits and risks associated with a Health Information Exchange (HIE)
- Discuss the opt in versus opt out processes related to an HIE
- Review the privacy law restrictions and limitations
- Determine the best practices for proper process and procedure development to support compliance with the applicable privacy and security regulations
Presenter from Morris Manning & Martin:
- Michele Madison is a highly experienced professional, providing legal advice to health systems in a variety of regulatory and business matters. Michele manages a multitude of legal issues including employment, investigations, and risk management assessment, and she often facilitates the implementation of compliance plans for HIPAA privacy and security regulations, and also provides oversight and guidance regarding medical staff governance and credentialing issues.