The report includes summaries of admissions, discharges, patient days, neonatal and newborn admissions and patient days, emergency department visits, and ambulatory surgeries. New to this year’s report is data including observation patients and patient days, occupancy rate and operating beds per hospital.
In contrasting 2018 with the recent past, the greatest influence was from changes in services offered by United Medical Center and Providence Hospital. UMC discontinued the maternal/newborn services in September 2017. Providence discontinued maternal newborn/newborn services and psychiatric services in October 2017, significantly reduced inpatient acute care services in December 2018, and finalized the closure of the Emergency Department scheduled for April 2019.
- 5.2% decrease in inpatient admissions
- 5.5% decrease in newborns delivered
- 0.3% increase in ED admissions
- 2.9% increase in ambulatory surgeries
- 6.2% increase in patient days
- 20.7% increase in observation patients